WWII Westminster Walking Tour & Churchill’s War Rooms
Learn about life in London during World War II on a 2.5-hour tour of Churchill’s War Rooms and discover the war secrets of Westminster. See the original wartime bunker that sheltered Winston Churchill and his government during the London blitz.
- Duration: 2.5 hours
- Check availability to see starting times.
- Printed or mobile voucher accepted
- Instant confirmation
- Live tour guide
PRICE PER PERSON
Explore the World War II history of London’s Westminster district and discover the secret bunker that Prime Minister Winston Churchill and his government used during the German bombing campaigns. Home to undercover and often underground bases for governments in exile, Westminster suffered especially badly during the blitz and was awash with espionage.
Your unique tour starts with a walk around some of London’s most historic sites, such as 10 Downing Street, the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. End at the Cenotaph, built as a memorial to the First World War and now the UK’s primary national war memorial.
Along the way, see the statue of Sir Winston Churchill and the monument to the Women of World War II, hear about governments and monarchs that were forced into exile in London as Germany overtook the nations of Europe and more.
Then, it’s time to head to the wartime bunker of the Churchill War Rooms. Tour the Churchill Museum and learn about the maze of underground rooms that were used to plot and plan war strategies. Although your guide will not accompany you inside, you’ll be able to browse the War Rooms at your leisure and hear fascinating facts from your audio guide as you wander round.
Experience what life was like for those that worked in the dark rooms and how they deciphered enemy communications and created maps of the army’s movements. Learn about the primitive sun lamps that were used to get sufficient levels of vitamin D and how even the families of those that worked there couldn’t know what they did for a living.
Explore the legacy of Sir Winston Churchill and hear authentic audio of his inspiring wartime speeches. Discover fascinating stories about Churchill’s private and public life, from his love of his wife to his special relationship with President Roosevelt. You’ll even see the original door to 10 Downing Street that he walked through after becoming prime minister.
The war rooms have been preserved exactly as they were on the day the lights were switched off in 1945, with signs that indicated the weather outside. As you venture deeper into the labyrinth, discover how life continued underground, from top-secret conversations between Churchill and Roosevelt in the Transatlantic Telephone Room, to simple domestic concerns in Churchill’s kitchen
- Explore London’s maze of underground rooms that served as bunkers in World War II
- See the secret war rooms of Winston Churchill
- Enjoy a walking tour of Westminster’s war sites
- Learn about the governments and monarchs of Europe forced into exile in London
- Discover the life and legacy of Churchill and his special relationship with Roosevelt
- English-speaking guide
- Entrance ticket and reservation fee for Churchill’s War Rooms
- Headsets to hear your guide if needed
- Audio guide in the War Rooms
What’s Not Included
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Food and drinks
Not Suitable for:
- People with mobility impairments
- Wheelchair users
Meet your guide outside Westminster Station. Please follow the signs for Exit 2 Victoria Embankment, and then take the stairs up to street level to Victoria Embankment. The group will be meeting at the top of the stairs behind the statue of Boadicea on a chariot. *Please note the meeting point is not at The Churchill War Rooms*
- Comfortable shoes
- Baby strollers
Know before you go
- This tour operates with a maximum 20 participants
- This tour is unable to accommodate wheelchairs or guests with any impairments that require special assistance
- Strollers and baby carriages are not permitted
- It is your responsibility to be at the meeting point 15 minutes before scheduled departure. Guests arriving after scheduled departure time cannot be accommodated and missed tours or tickets cannot be refunded
- Please wear comfortable shoes as the tour involves a good amount of walking
Find great discounts for hotels in London
|Price before and discount
|London Marriott Hotel County Hall
|Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
|The Sanctuary House Hotel
|Park Plaza County Hall London
|Conrad London St James
|The Royal Horseguards
|St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
|The Grand at Trafalgar Square
|Club Quarters Hotel Trafalgar Square, London
|Novotel London Waterloo
|The Trafalgar St. James, London Curio collection by Hilton
|Park Plaza London Waterloo
|The Westminster London, Curio Collection by Hilton
|The Clermont London, Charing Cross
|St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, London
|Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
|Sofitel London St James
|Haymarket Hotel, Firmdale Hotels
Specification: WWII Westminster Walking Tour & Churchill’s War Rooms
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.